Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Feta, Kalamata Olives and Dill

I love wandering through Whole Foods.  I could spend an afternoon wandering the isles looking at everything.  These days, I don't get much of an opportunity to sit and clog the grocery isles...because I am quickly reminded I have a toddler with me as a cheerio whizzes by my head.

But, while my little one does not share my patience for shopping, there is one thing we both have in common--we both love food.  What could be better than that?

I found this quinoa salad while wandering passed the salad bar at Whole Foods and fell in love with it.  It's no secret Whole Foods is often called "Whole Paycheck".  While I truly believe good food is worth every penny, there are ways you can make good things at home and maybe save a few bucks.

My secret?  Trader Joe!  It's my favorite haven for everything organic...and everything on the cheap.  I purchased the olives, feta and quinoa at Trader Joe.  I bought the dill at another local store.  AND no, TJ's didn't pay me to post this (If TJ's is reading this...feel free to contact me to be your local cheerleader)  I just love the store ;).

If you are unsure of what quinoa is, its a grain.  It is VERY easy to cook, basically boil water, pull the pot off the burner, throw your quinoa in and cover for a few minutes.  Its super easy and SUPER good for you!  I love the texture of it too.

This is one of my favorite 'go to' salads to have in my fridge.  I think you will love it too!

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Feta, Kalamata Olives and Dill
Recipe by: Cafe Coco

1 cup quinoa (cooked according to package instructions)
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
3/4 cup kalamata olives chopped coarsely
1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
Olive oil, drizzled on the top.  My personal fave?  Katz and Co.

Cook quinoa according to package instructions, then cool completely.  Add feta cheese, kalamata olives, and dill.  Mix together.  Drizzle olive oil on top.  Serve!

No comments: