Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ricotta Cinnamon Pancakes

As I was laying in bed way early this morning, tossing and turning to get comfortable, I hear my husband sigh.

“Buddy? (he calls me buddy), are you up?”
“Yes.”

“I can’t sleep.”

“I know, me either. Should we [we really means ‘I’] make pancakes?”

This was 5:30 in the morning, and for the two of us who typically don’t crawl [drag ourselves] out of bed until 7am this wasn’t typical.
Luckily, I had some left over ricotta cheese from earlier in the week that I needed to use up along with an egg white…so I basically had all the ingredients I needed to make some early morning ricotta pancakes. It only took me 10 minutes and we had yummy, fluffy blueberry cinnamon ricotta pancakes.

You know what? It was nice sitting down for breakfast before I sent him off to work…we may have to make this a little tradition.

Ricotta Cinnamon Pancakes
Recipe derived from Cooks.com

Ingredients:
¼ lb. Ricotta cheese
1 egg yolk
2 egg whites
1/3 cup milk
¼ cup flour
Pinch salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Extras:
Blueberries
Canola Oil
Pure Maple Syrup

Directions:

1. Separate egg yolks from the whites. Whip egg whites to stiff peaks.

2. In a separate bowl, break up the egg yolk and whisk in the ricotta cheese and vanilla extract. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well and pour in the milk and lightly stir. Add cinnamon, lightly incorporate. Fold in the egg whites.

3. Turn on a griddle to high and heat up oil (I used canola, you can use vegetable if you want). Pour pancakes in ¼ cup fulls and top with blueberries. Brown on each side, turning once.

4. Serve with pure maple syrup, warmed.

No comments: