Friday, January 2, 2009

Brocolli Cheese Quiche and My New Favorite Brunch Dish

With all the festivities and people at my house, I needed to find an easy breakfast that wouldn’t tie me to my stove. So I decided to make my ‘famous’ broccoli cheese quiche. It’s not really famous, but it’s famous with my family and friends.

I think there is a misrepresentation of quiche as if it’s supposed to be accompanied by china dishes and a tea party. I suppose it still can be, but it really is a great hearty meal that even my father in law raves about it.

The one thing I changed with my quiche is I got rid of all the heavy cream I have seen in so many recipes. I really don’t want all that additional fat so I opted to make it with low fat milk and let me tell you, you cannot taste the difference.

To make it easy on yourself, you can buy a pre-made crust from the store. I do this frequently because I don’t know anyone willing to get up at 5 am to make pastry dough!
Here is a great recipe, just in time for your weekend!

Broccoli Cheese Quiche

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 ½ cups low fat milk
2 cups cheese (I used cheddar)
1 cup broccoli cooked (I used frozen and it worked fine for me)
Salt/pepper to taste
Store bought pie crust

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees

Beat eggs, add milk. Whisk to combine.
Salt and pepper the mixture and add it to the pie crust. Don’t worry about defrosting t he pie crust, go ahead and use it still frozen if you purchased the crust already molded into the pan.

Add cheese and broccoli.

Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
**Mine took a little over an hour to cook because I used a frozen pie crust and the broccoli was still frozen when I added it. If all of your ingredients are room temperature, it will probably only take 45 minutes.

It is done when it’s lightly browned on top and it no longer jiggles in the center. Wait a few minutes for the quiche to settle and then slice and serve alongside fruit.
My cheese sinks to the bottom every time! I have tried mixing it in, and adding it last...any suggestions?? It still tastes great! I guess that's all that matters!

No comments: