Friday, February 20, 2009

Wilton Classes: The prospect of learning to decorate a cake

I have cake coming out of my ears this month! I have 7 cakes on my roster.
I think it’s no secret that I love cake/cupcakes. My problem is, while I was able to master flavor purely by trial and error, I had yet to master aesthetics.

For cupcakes, it was fairly easy. I could put my frosting in a piping bag and make them look fancy by making swirls. But when it came to my cakes, my decorating skills were much to be desired.

I decided the best way to pass time this winter was to sign up for the Wilton Cake Decorating classes. After only 3 classes, I am improving and in the meantime having a blast! Now if I could master keeping a steady hand…I may be in business…literally. *Fingers Crossed*

Here are some of my latest creations from class along with the recipes I’ve been trying. I will post them separately because otherwise…It’s too hard to categorize and navigate through the post.




Week #1: Rainbow Cake:
Cake: Red Velvet (My first go at Red Velvet!)
Frosting: Vanilla Buttercream


Week #2: Purple Pansy Cake
Cake: Vanilla Bean White Cake
Filling: Strawberry Italian Meringue Buttercream
Frosting: Vanilla Buttercream


Week #2: Pink Bear Cupcakes (Purple Pansy, and Clowns too)
Cake: Chocolate
Frosting: Vanilla Buttercream

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I was going to comment on the cupcakes . . . and then I saw the cute pansy cake . . . and then the fun rainbow cake . . . and I didn't know where to comment but thank goodness you have this post on all of them! The cakes are adorable and I bet that they taste fantastic too. I think that my favorite might be the pansy cake but the teddy bears are awfully cute and since I'm such a detail nut I love the details on the rainbow. Can't wait to see how the rest of the class is!

Sweet as Coco said...

Thanks Jessica! The class has been so much fun....but I needed the help with the details. :)