Tuesday, February 17, 2009

TWD: Devil's Food White-Out Cake


It’s happened.

It’s happened!

It’s TWD and someone, specifically Stephanie of Confessions of a city eater, has finally chosen the cover cake. (Ok, I have only been baking with TWD for about 4 months but believe me….it’s been a long time coming for all the bakers). If you would like to take a look at the recipe, please visit Stephanie’s page.

One of the things that drew me into Dorie’s book the most was her celebration cake section. I am drawn to cake naturally so it’s really no surprise! But my goal is to try them all. So this week, I have one down…

I make chocolate cake frequently and one of the things I am leery on is using melted chocolate in a cake. For brownies, absolutely. For cake…I am on the fence. This one had both Dutch processed cocoa AND melted chocolate. For this cake, I think the combo worked. This cake seemed much more like a torte. It didn’t rise much and was difficult to slice the layers because they were already fairly thin.

The frosting was a billow-y marshmallow frosting. I love marshmallow fluff so I couldn’t wait to give this a try. I did alter it a bit and added a vanilla bean for an extra kick. I didn’t care for the bite of the cream of tarter so I added a few tablespoons of butter at the end of the mixing---word from the wise, Don’t. The frosting seized and became a watery mess. Oops! So the second trial, I just kept according to plan.

Assembling the cake was pretty easy and looked stunning. I thought the flavor of this cake improved the second day. The cake was more fudgy and dense, and the frosting and cake flavors had more time to get together and mesh. Over all, the cake was great, and rather impressive!

If you want to see how the other bakers fared this week, click on TWD’s blogroll.

9 comments:

AmyRuth said...

Clever illusion....flowers in the cake. Yep this was an okay cake recipe. Fun to make and my husband liked it. We sent it to work with him. Spring Break you know. he he So glad you made it and enjoyed the process and recovered on that mallowy frosting. Way to go.
AmyRuth

Nancy said...

Your cake looks great! I've only been baking with the group for a few months too and was dying to make this cake also.

Sweet as Coco said...

Yes, I distributed this cake to anyone I saw. :) My husband and I can't eat all this cake by ourselves....since I have to make 6 total cakes this month. eek! And...Im working on my photo skills...really I am! It helps when my husband brings home his work camera for me to try!

Jessica said...

I think that your cake looks so pretty! I love the addition of vanilla beans to the frosting, what a great idea!

farah said...

Your cake is beautiful and i love your cake stand :)

Sweet as Coco said...

Thank you! Marshall's! LOVE that place :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos. Awesome cake. I didn't have to worry about distributing this cake. My husband with little help from my kids devoured this one!

Jules Someone said...

Glad you enjoyed it! It looks great.

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog! Your White Out cake looks fantastic! As do your other cakes! I've yet to master sugar-syrup'd boiled frostings - you make them look easy! Very nice-looking, delicious desserts!