Saturday, October 25, 2008

Melt In Your Mouth Chocolate Cupcakes With Vanilla Bean Buttercream


Back when I started on my cupcake journey, I wanted to try new things. So for a Mother’s Day dinner, I made two kinds of cupcakes (a Cardamom Carrot Cupcake, and a White Cake with Raspberry Chantilly Cream). Yes, TWO.
I’m totally crazy mainly because who would go through the trouble to make not only one batch of homemade cupcakes and frosting but TWO batches of cupcakes with homemade frosting, let alone for a small group of 8 people!
Quite honestly, I just wanted to try both of them, and I was having my sweet little nephews over and thought for SURE they would have a few…plus maybe take home a few.
What I didn’t take into account is that my little nephews love chocolate….pretty much ONLY chocolate. As a result, I had 40 leftover cupcakes.
So, when I was invited to my sisters corn roast, I was really hoping to make something seasonal, but remembered that if I was going to show up with cupcakes, I better show up with something chocolate. In addition to my pumpkin cupcakes, I made one of my FAVORITE chocolate cupcake recipes.
Not only did my nephews love the chocolate cupcakes…but my sister woke up to her oldest son, polishing off the rest of the pumpkin cupcakes. Go figure. :)







Beaty’s Chocolate Cupcakes
From: Ina Garten
1 ¾ Cups all-purpose flour
2 Cups granulated sugar
¾ Cup good cocoa powder (I used Callebaut)
2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. kosher salt
1 Cup buttermilk
½ Cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1 Cup freshly brewed hot coffee (I used a French roast)






Directions:
1. In a large mixing bowl: Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt together.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla.
3. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry with the mixer on LOW.
4. With the mixer still running on low, add the coffee and mix just until combined.
5. Warning: Batter will be VERY thin (so thin you may think you are missing something)






6. Pour batter into cupcake liners or use an ice cream scoop.
7. Bake cupcakes for 17-22 minutes at 350 or until a cake tester comes out clean.







Vanilla Bean Buttercream
Courtesy of Mirepoix cooking school
12 oz. evaporated milk
2 lbs. Powdered Sugar
1 lbs. Sweetex (Hi-Ratio shortening—can be found at cake decorating stores)
1 lbs. Unsalted Butter
2 t. Vanilla Extract (recipe calls for 1/2 but that just isn't enough for me)
1 Vanilla Bean (my personal touch)

Directions:
1. In a standing mixer, add evaporated milk and sugar. Mix on low until combined. Then turn the speed up to medium, and mix until smooth (15-20 Minutes)
2. Meanwhile, cut Vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds (meat). Reserve.
3. Add room temp butter and shortening, 2 T at a time.



This is what the Sweetex looks like


4. Mix until fluffy, add vanilla extract and vanilla bean meat. Mix until combined. Pipe onto cupcakes

See all the vanilla bean??



No comments: