Monday, February 7, 2011

New Discovery: Millet Polenta

While reading my December issue of Fine Cooking Magazine I was enticed by the grain article.  I'm always looking to try something new so when I read you could use millet grains instead of corn meal to make polenta....I decided it was worth a trip to the grocery store.

Now let me forewarn you, millet, isn't really something you may find at your corner store but I would imagine at most fancy grocery stores, you should be able to find it.  I found mine at our local fancy grocer, Plum Market.  I would imagine a place like Whole Foods would have it also, although I didn't look the last time I went.  It's relatively inexpensive, and its a good source of iron.  It's also easy to make!

The verdict:  Absolutely YUMMY!  The grain has a nice nutty flavor with a smooth, buttery but, grainy texture.  You can top it off with a bit of butter or a good quality olive oil (I always use Katz for finishing).  In this case, I am showing it with the olive oil.  I actually paired this with a pot roast I made in my slow cooker and the au jus from the beef was fabulous!  I would totally make this again and again!

I changed the recipe quite a bit, for simplicity sake from the original, but I would definitely try it next time with the vegetables.

For the original recipe, click here.

Here is how I prepared it:

Millet Polenta
Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking Magazine


Ingredients:
5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup millet
1 1/2 cups cheddar (I used a mix of leftover nubs of cheese in my cheese drawer- havarti, farm house cheddar, manchego)
sea salt to taste

Directions:
Rinse and drain millet.  In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the millet.  Toast for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently until fragrant.  Add butter and stir in until melted.  Add stock and bring to a boil.  COVER and simmer for 20 minutes.  Stir, recover for another 10 minutes.  Stir again and cover for another 5 minutes.  Stir in cheese and salt.  Serve.



No comments: