In New Year's resolution true fashion--my husband and I are working on a cleaner diet i.e. no junk food, no sugar....and for now, no red meat.
Recipe by: Courtney Monigold
1 lb Ground Turkey (white meat or a mix of both dark and white meat)
1 cup wheat bread crumbs
1/3-1/2 cup milk
1 T dried thyme
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 1/2 T worcestershire
2 T ketchup (plus more for drizzling on top)
1 garlic clove
3/4 lb white mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms, chopped
1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1/2 t onion powder
salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray bread pan with Pam.
- In a medium to large skillet over medium heat, add a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add carrots, cook for about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove from burner. Add onion powder, worcestershire, 2 T ketchup. Set aside and let cool. (Cooks tip: Reserve the dirty skillet for the mushroom gravy....it will add extra flavor).
- In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs and milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add ground turkey, eggs, thyme, parsley, mushroom mixture, and bread crumb mixture. Mix together until combined. Press firmly into bread pan. (Mixture will be wet) Drizzle with ketchup. Cook 50-55 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 170 degrees. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Recipe by: Courtney Monigold (adapted from Group Recipes)
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup minced mushrooms
1/4 cup red vermouth
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
2 cups beef broth (you can use chicken broth or vegetable broth also)
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/8 cup milk
(Cooks tip: you can add a teaspoon of worcestershire sauce for additional flavor)
1. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Stir in mushrooms. Sauté 5 minutes. Add vermouth. Cook until liquid has evaporated. Remove mushroom mixture from pan; set aside.
2. Melt remaining butter in pan; stir in flour. Cook and stir over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Whisk in broth. Simmer and whisk 3-4 minutes or until thickened.
Whisk in poultry seasoning and milk, continuing to cook until heated through. Stir in reserved mushroom mixture; season with salt and pepper and worcestershire sauce, if desired.