Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easter Lemon-y Sugar Cookies

My baby cousin, Billy (I can call him my baby cousin because my mom watched him when he was just a baby --sorry Bill!  ;)  ), is serving in the Air Force and will be away from the family for Easter this year.  My aunt wanted to make sure he had a nice care package before the holiday so she called to see if I could help out by making 5 dozen cookies.  Of course, sugar cookies had to be on the list and I decided that I would try my hand at decorating with royal icing instead of my traditional vanilla buttercream to keep them from getting smashed in the mail.  I think I need a bit more practice (who better to practice on than family) but I think a few of these turned out really cute!  It took a lot of will power to not eat all of these.  I know he and his fellow airman/and ladies will enjoy these.

This is my 'go to' sugar cookie these days.  I really like it.  It's sugary, and lemon-y and the perfect combination of crunch and chew.  I've tried several over the years, but I always come back to this one.

Send some cookies to someone you love!

Love ya, Billy!  Thank you for serving our country!  xo


Lemon-y Sugar Cutout Cookies
Recipe derived from: "Fabulous Cookies" by Hilaire Walden
¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temp
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of one lemon
Pinch of salt
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
Directions:
1.        In a mixing bowl, cream the butter. Then add the sugar and cream until pale and fluffy.
2.       Add the egg and yolk, one at a time. Then add the vanilla and zest.
3.       Sift the flour and salt mixture and add slowly with the mixer running. Be careful not to over mix. Only mix until the flour is just incorporated.
4.  Decorate as desired!  

No comments: