Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Apple Blossom Fondant Yellow Cake with Chocolate Buttercream

Last night was my last Class #2 of Wilton.  (I've taken them somewhat out of order...and re-took #2 for a refresher).  I was put under a bit of pressure from my fellow classmate, Dolce by Dana, to step outside the box once again and NOT choose something from the Wilton suggestion book.  Originally I figured I might just take it easy this time but as the weeks drew closer I knew I would have to think of something.   Last time, I made flowers out of gumpaste and it was almost as the sky was the limit (there are just SO many beautiful choices with gumpaste).  But, this time, I felt as though I should probably stick with the flowers shown in class as I REALLY need more practice working with buttercream and royal icing flowers.

So off I went one saturday afternoon, working for several hours on 133 apple blossoms.  One discovery I made while in my Wilton classes 2 years ago was mixing a white icing inside the pink icing bag I was too lazy to clean out--it mixes almost a marshmallow-y swirl hue!  So this time I decided that I would mix the royal icing half way through which made the flowers half white/half mauve.  I really liked the way they turned out!


I realize, this cake actually resembles what really SHOULD be a cherry blossom.  I know.  But after googling "Apple Blossom" the pictures that popped up were cakes that resembled this.  And I only realized this AFTER making 133 apple blossoms.  133.  So I knew that, either way, even though it wouldn't be aesthetically accurate, I was going to go through with my original plan to get the practice drawing trees.


I tried some new recipes this time for experimental sake.  The cake is made of the Yellow Downy Cake from "The Cake Bible", and filled with a Chocolate Buttercream made with egg yolks from the same book and frosted with Italian Meringue Buttercream (well, what I had little of anyway).  Then covered in marshmallow fondant that was colored blue (and then somehow changed itself to purple).  I used 2, 9-inch pans, although next time I would definitely use 8-inch pans as these layers turned out way smaller than expected.

I'm not posting the recipe this time because I wasn't really a fan of the cake itself-I felt it was a bit on the dry side.  Overall...the practice was definitely worth the effort!  I will have to try this cake on a larger stacked scale...sometime soon!

1 comment:

Dana said...

So pretty! You did a great job! :)