Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Semi-Homeade Vanilla Bean Mousse


If I had my way, I would always eat my dessert first. It’s by far my favorite part of the meal to prepare, and also eat. But sometimes coming up with time to make a dessert can be difficult and I am not always willing to skimp on this very important part of the meal, just because I’m skimped on time.


That’s when I turn into semi-homemade mode. I don’t do this much because I am no fan of boxed food, but if I can turn it into my ‘own’ in some way then I somehow feel better about myself.


During the holidays, I was REALLY pressed for time. As I was browsing the grocery isle, I curiously picked up some boxed mousse by Dr. Oetker. I was quite surprised because these are inexpensive, but good. Homemade mousse isn’t really difficult to make, but it has been known to dirty a lot of dishes. Another thing I just did not have time for.


So what I did to change it was by adding seeds from a vanilla bean, fresh blackberries and shaved dark chocolate curls. Put it in a fancy martini glass…and now you have a fancy dessert that only takes minutes to prepare.

Semi homemade Vanilla Bean Mousse

Ingredients:
1 Dr. Oetker French vanilla mousse supreme mix
1 cup of cold milk
½ vanilla bean
Fresh blackberries
Shaved dark chocolate bar

Directions:
Follow the directions on the package using the milk. Cut vanilla bean crosswise and scrape out the seeds. Put the seeds in the mousse mixture and mix well. Put mix into martini glasses and chill for 2 hours. Before serving add fresh blackberries and chocolate curls.

Tip: To make the chocolate curls, just shave the side of a chocolate bar with a vegetable peeler.

No comments: