Monday, January 12, 2009

Avocado and Grapefruit Mache Salad


As I wandered the grocery store over the weekend I was looking for arugula, when I picked up a bag of Mache lettuce by mistake. “Mache,” I said. “Hmm. What the heck is this?” And here I thought I knew about the whole world of lettuce.

Finding something new should be no surprise, because I continue to learn new spices, recipes, and vegetables every day. I used to get intimidated looking at recipes with ingredients I was unsure of, but what I did to overcome that was to just begin wandering the grocery store…looking at everything like it was a shoe store.

Mache, which is also called Lamb’s lettuce, is a very mild, tender lettuce that looks similar to very thick clovers in my opinion. Since Trader Joe was so kind to have a recipe on the back of the bag, I decided, “what the heck, I will try it!” I love salads, and I especially love trying a new one.




So don’t forget to wander the store once in awhile…you never know what you may run into.

Mache Citrus Salad
Recipe courtesy of Trader Joe

Ingredients:
1-6 oz. Bag of Mache Lettuce
1 avocado, sliced
1 grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
½ cup macadamia nuts, toasted

Citrus Vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, (or just get a juice NOT from concentrate)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime (please, not from the plastic lime)
1 zest of a lime
½ cup good extra virgin olive oil, I used Round Pond Spanish Olive Oil
Salt/Pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Toast the nuts on a baking sheet at 350 for about 5 minutes. You will know when they are starting to toast because you will smell them. Set aside and let cool completely.
2. Slice up avocado and peel grapefruit. I removed the skin of the grapefruit because I find the skin tough but that’s only my preference.
3. Mix vinaigrette until emulsified (completely combined turning a light yellow) with a whisk.
4. Toss dressing with the salad, then top with grapefruit, avocado, and nuts.

Tip: I served this alongside shrimp scampi which also had citrusy undertones. Very delish! I will post that recipe later this week!


No comments: