Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Huevos Rancheros and My Favorite Restaurant Breakfast


The weekend will soon be here and it’s time for a great weekend breakfast recipe!

Whenever my husband and I go out to breakfast, one of my favorite things to order is huevos rancheros (I really just like Mexican style breakfast for that matter). But these days, we have been eating in a lot more and I have had to try to figure out how to recreate some of my restaurant favorites.

Making this is rather easy and you can adjust the tastes to your liking. I top mine with different things, depending on what I have in the house. I had left over chipotle chilies, a lonely avocado and a large container of yogurt just begging to be used. I threw in some salsa and black beans and I was well on my way to a great restaurant style breakfast.

Dig in!!

Huevos Rancheros

2 Flour or Corn Tortillas
5 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
¼ cup shredded cheese (you can you a blend or cheddar-whatever you like)
Vegetable oil or Canola oil for cooking the tortillas

Serve along the side: Yogurt/Sour cream, Sliced Avocados, salsa, shredded lettuce, and black beans

Chipotle Cream:
1 teaspoon chipotle chili in adobo sauce, deseeded and diced (these come canned)
½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
Pinch of salt
-Mix together in a blender or food processor until completely smooth

Avocado Cream:
1 Avocado
½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
Pinch of salt
-Mix together in a blender or food processor until completely smooth

Directions for Huevos Rancheros:
1. In a large skillet, on medium/high, heat oil and toast the tortillas on each side for about 30 seconds each.
2. In a small bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Scramble eggs on a non-stick skillet adding the cheese towards the end to melt.
3. To assemble: Place tortilla on plate, top with lettuce (if using), then black beans, place the eggs with cheese on top. You can top with any sides you like such as: sour cream, avocado cream, chipotle cream, salsa, cilantro, etc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love huevos rancheros too! YUM!

Jessica said...

Yum! Eating out is fun but you can't beat eating in for comfort. There's just something about a big breakfast at home that I love. I think it's great that you recreated these yourself.

Sweet as Coco said...

Ditto that! Sunday is our day to make a big breakfast and hang out!