Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie and a Quick Fix Meal, revisited

I know. I had promised to post this chicken pot pie last week when I posted my "Make ahead Meals" but for some reason, time has gotten the best of me.

I made two of these 'pie's' using a rotisserie chicken from the store (how easy is that?). We ate one for dinner and I save the other in the freezer for the following week.

I fashioned the pot pie after one my my favorite local restaurants, Red Coat Tavern in Royal Oak, MI. Since they typically have a 2 hour wait on a Tuesday, I had to figure out my own way to get my pot pie fix. Although I have made pot pie for 10 years now, I think it's evolved as my my skills have grown in the kitchen. So far, this is my best yet.

I used fresh herbs to make this, which I think really makes a difference in flavor. My other trick: a demi-glace for the roux. These can sometimes be tough to find but if you have a nice specialty market nearby they are usually by all the stocks or even up at the meat counter.


The rest is history...



Chicken Pot Pie
Recipe by: Courtney Monigold

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon chicken glace (this just enhances the flavors like you wouldn’t believe, if you can’t find it, leave it out. You can find it by the chicken stocks or at the meat counters)
3 Fresh thyme sprigs (or ½ teaspoon dried)
1 bay leaf
2 Carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 parsnip, peeled and chopped into small pieces
3 tablespoons fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped fine (or 1 teaspoon dry)
½ cup onion
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ cup peas (frozen)
¼ cup corn
1 ½ cup cooked chicken, I used a rotisserie bird
1 store bought puff pastry sheet, defrosted
Salt/pepper to taste
Olive oil

Directions
:
In a heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and cook until it becomes translucent. Add carrots, celery, parsnip and a sprig of thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft. Then add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove thyme stem. Transfer to a large bowl.

To make the roux:
Clean out pot with paper towel. Put pot back on the stove. Add butter and let it melt (but be careful not to burn it). Add flour and stir constantly with a whisk over medium heat until combined and then add the chicken stock, whisking constantly. Add bay leaf and thyme. You can add the chicken glace here. Stir until thickened.  This can sometimes take about 5 minutes.  If you can’t get it to thicken, add cornstarch one teaspoon at a time. Remove bay leaf and thyme stem.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Assemble the pie:
Add roux mixture to the vegetables, add peas and corn, add cooked chicken and mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add to a deep dish pie pan. Roll out puff pastry to fit the top of the pie pan then place over the top of the pie dish and press the edges down to seal it. Put pie dish on a baking sheet to catch any run over and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown.  Top with freshly chopped parsley and serve.

Tip: If you want the top to look ‘shiny’ brush an egg wash over the top with a pastry brush. Egg wash is one egg and either a little water or milk mixed together.  You can also use pie crust.  Just follow the cooking instructions for the pie crust.  I like to use Trader Joe's brand if I DO purchase from the store---it tastes homemade!

1 comment:

AmyRuth said...

Coco, I used to make chicken pot pie with my kids when they were little. An all day affair and we always made a huge mess and had fun. : ) Thanks for sharing your recipe. It sounds really delicious and your photo is nice.
AmyRuth