Friday, July 2, 2010


My husband and I are part of a co-op. Pre-baby I kept my own garden, but after last years poor yeild, we made the decusion that it would be best to let the experts handle growing while I focused my new role on motherhood, instead.

So far it's been great. All I have to do is put the baby in the stroller and walk a few blocks to pick up our share. For anyone not able to plant their own garden, for whatever reason, this certainly is a great alternative. Plus, you support your local farmers.

One of our shares had fresh Michigan strawberries. Whenever I have an abudance of strawberries I try to find creative ways to use them. I love putting berries in a salad because it's a great way to get your greens and your fruit, not to mention it gives the salad a sweet kick.

This strawberry poppyseed salad goes great with any summer main course. I think I served steak, but you could certainly serve it with fish or chicken or whatever you would like!!

You could always buy a poppyseed dressing but after reading the labels I figured it would be easier (not to mention cheaper) to just make it myself. Be careful, read the labels. Some claim to be 'all natural'....only to contain high fructose corn syrup. How is that 'natural' again?



Strawberry Poppyseed Salad with Chevre and Candied Pecans


8 oz. leafy greens or butter lettuce

1/2 cup- 1 cup strawberries, cut up

4 oz chevre cheese

1/2 cup candied pecans, for the recipe, click here.



Poppy seed dressing

1/4 cup white wine vinegar

1/3 cup canola oil

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard or 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons poppy seeds

salt/pepper


Directions:

Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and sugar. Slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add poppy seeds and whisk again. You can also put in a small blender- just add all the ingredients together reserving the poppy seeds for after blending.



3 comments:

Button For A Bird said...

I know this is weird but I litterally almost orgasumed at just the site of that picture. I LOVE STRAWBERRIES!!!

please help name my banjolele

Alil Country Sugar said...

I am trying to lean heavy on nutrition. This looks very yummy. A great summertime patio lunch.

Raul said...

what a cake,yam yam,You have made a nice website,very well organized ,i let you a few links to mi websites,have a nice day,i will visit you again soon to see if you post something new,Raul Gonzales from Madrid
Nehoiu online Marketing Asesinos seriales Directorio web SEO