Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Gingersnaps...my long lost love.

(Picture taken by Ann T., my lovely neighbor!)

To tell you the truth, I have never even eaten a gingersnap in my life… until about a week ago. I sat back thinking about this wondering, how have I gotten through 27 years of my life without even sampling…just one??

Could that really be?

Maybe a gingerbread man at some point, but a gingersnap?? Never.

I will tell you that I have made up for lost time in the short span of a week. A co-worker of mine brought in a homemade batch of these little morsels and I couldn’t turn them down. Something about the delicious amber color and spicy, gingery smell kept me reaching back into the cookie basket for another. (yes, …and another!). I admit it. I’m totally addicted to these cookies.
So I turned to an old stand by, yesterday to make a batch of these for myself. I cracked open my “The Joy of Cooking” and away I went. To Gingersnap Heaven.

Tip: I tend to be a non-conformist so I chose to change the recipe a bit, but you can certainly follow it, "The Joy of Cooking" way if you would like! The key is: use good, fresh ingredients. I bought a DARK organic molasses and I truly think it made a difference. Molasses is one of the key in gingersnaps. When you find a key ingredient for something…if you are going to splurge… this is the item you splurge on.

Are you ready for a piece of heaven?

Gingersnaps
By: "Joy of Cooking"

Cream:
¾ Cup butter
2 Cups Sugar

Stir in:
2 well beaten Eggs
½ Cup Molasses
2 t. Vinegar
(I added 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract)
Sift and Add:
3 ¾ Cups All purpose flour
1 ½ t. baking soda
2 to 3 t. ginger
½ t. Cinnamon (I added 1 teaspoon)
¼ t. cloves


Mix ingredients until well blended.
Form dough into ¾ inch balls.
Bake on greased cookie sheet for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.
ENJOY!!! I know I did!!!

No comments: